AdvancED makes various recommendations related to school libraries and information literacy/research-related professional development for schools it accredites. AdvancED is the unified organization of the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI). It is dedicated to advancing excellence in education worldwide through accreditation, research, and professional services. AdvancED creates the world's largest education community, representing 27,000 public and private schools and districts across the United States and in 65 countries worldwide, educating 15 million students. NCA CASI and SACS CASI schools share a unified, clear and powerful accreditation process designed to help schools continuously improve. Attend this event to discuss ways to strengthen your library program. See their website at http://advanc-ed.org. Join us at http://slurl.com/secondlife/ALA%20Island/127/102/29.
If you are new to Second Life, set up an account to join us:
1. Go to the Second Life website at http://secondlifegrid.net/programs/education several days in advance to set up your free basic account.
2. Verify that your computer and connectivity meets the systems requirements at http://secondlife.com/support/sysreqs.php.
3. Click on the orange “Get Started!” button. Go through the subsequent screens to create your avatar account.
4. Download and install the Second Life viewer software at http://secondlife.com/support/downloads.php.
5. Open the software and log into Second Life using your avatar first name, last name, and password. Watch your avatar “be born”. Complete the orientation activities to learn about how to communicate, move, search, and edit your appearance.
6. When finished, search “Places” for locations such as Chicago Public Schools, ISTE, or the American Library Association. Teleport to a favorite location, explore, and become acquainted with Second Life. (When searching, make sure the “search mature places” square is checked.)
7. Fifteen minutes prior to scheduled meetings, log on and IM Elaine Tulip for a teleport to the meeting location or use provided SLURL.