TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

A community for teacher-librarians and other educators

This is my first year at the middle school level. Today some students came in during their study period and asked if they could go on club penguin. Any advice?

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm having a hard time with this, too--not club penguin per se, but games/interactive websites in general. This is my first year at the middle school level as well, and the students seem used to playing games on the computers. I feel old-fashioned and mean, but I don't allow any of it. I think it's hard to make exceptions because once you start doing that it gets so hard to manage, and you have to look at each different game they're playing. My principal has hands-down said no games, period, so that makes it pretty clear for me. We have a very limited amount of bandwidth in our schools and the games use up too much of it. That's how I explain it.

I feel like there's so many articles out there about gaming in the library, but I have yet to see how this could work for me without things getting too out of control. I was thinking of possibly allowing games one day a week during lunch periods, like Game Day Fridays or something so there are definite limits for the students.

I know that doesn't answer your question about Club Penguin, but hopefully it helped...
Thanks. Yes, it does help to know how others are dealing with this. I am wondering too about those who do allow gaming and how they are able to manage it.
I was a computer teacher for 8 years before I became a 6th grade teacher. I was a 6th grade teacher for 4 years. Then I became the facilitator for the Gifted and Talented Program for the K-12 grade students.
I have seen the progressive interaction of students with the digital equipment around them. They are of course "Digital Natives".

The computer websites young people like to visit are filled with problem solving, reading, listening skills, digital social interactions, multi-tasking skills, and memory building opportunities. Allowing this type of use by young people also let the students know you trust them to make good decisions and value their feelings about what they want to do on the computer. They will then in turn take into consideration your requests for appropriate behaviors in the classroom as well as the school overall. You should make sure that they are aware of ther basic rules of ettiquette and safety when using the internet overall. In Club Penguin, they can become "Agents" that monitor others use of the site to protect how everyone in using the Club Penguin site.

I use the computer as a tool overall for research and accomplishing academic assignments, but I also use them as a reward for finished work, improved and/or continued personal behavior management skills.
Some of my rules:
* Appropriate websites only (I do allow Club Penguin, my own 7 year old son has a paid account)

* Apply and monitor time limits to visit the sites, especially used in the classroom when there is a larger group of students. This will also apply when in the library to make sure everyone gets a turn to have fun.

* Another big issue is supervision. Make sure you are consistent and fair with every user. Make sure they know you will call them on inappropriate sites, activities, behaviors on the internet. Stick to your word and follow through with consequences. I've used losing computer time as a step in behavior modification (TL = Time Loss) Each student is different and I can remove the opportunity to use their favorite thing to help them make more appropriate decisions.

* Post all the rules that you enforce within visual proximity.

Let me know how things go with this issue.

Sherri Foreman
Sherri,

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this matter. I really appreciate your detailed answer and I am considering allowing use of these programs -- your advice is excellent -- thanks again. I will let you know how things go.

Kathleen Pappalardo
Your welcome.
Sherri

RSS

A Learning Revolution Project

Twitter feeds

TL Scoop.its

Teacher Librarians of the 21st Century Curated by Mrs. N Ideas and Resources for the 21st Century Teacher Librarian

Libraries as Sites of Enchantment, Participatory Culture, and Learning Curated by Buffy J. Hamilton Ideas and resources to develop the concept of libraries as sites of participatory culture and learning

Personal Learning Networks for Librarians  Curated by Donna Watt

Staying ahead of the game, managing your own professional development, joining the dots

SchoolLibrariesTeacherLibrarians Curated by Joyce Valenza News for teacher librarians

What is a teacher librarian?  Curated by Tania Sheko Defining the role of teacher librarians for those who think we just look after books

Teacher librarians and transliteracy Curated by Sue Krust Explore the evolving role of the teacher librarian

Teacher-Librarian Curated by Librarian@HOPE Best sites and resources on the web for teacher-librarians

ResearChameleon on School Libraries Curated by Kathy Malatesta Teaching, mentoring & leading in today’s school libraries

Student Learning through School Libraries Curated by lyn_hay Building evidence of impact through research and professional practice

SCIS  Curated by SCIS News and resources about school libraries

Educational Technology and Libraries Curated by Kim Tairi In libraries we teach, we learn and many of us are early adopters of technology. This is your scoop on those things.

21st Century Libraries Curated by Dr. Steve Matthews all things 21st Century library related

Join our Diigo Group! VIsit TL Daily!

Coming soon

Events

Members

#tlchat: #tlchat your tweets!

Birthdays

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service