TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

A community for teacher-librarians and other educators

Joyce Valenza, Doug Johnson, Lisa Perez, David Warlick, Will Richardson, Larry Johnson and I are the panel for a discussion of 'The Changing Landscape of 21st Century School Information Centers' at NECC on June 26.
What do YOU-all see as the big issues/hot topics we should be addressing at this program?

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If we as librarians stick with a model of collaboration, we need to think in terms of how the "changing landscape" affects our collaborations. What are our teachers going to be asking of us? I think they'll want to get right down to the nitty gritty work of developing or revising curriculum, assessing learning for 21st century skills, and proving the effectiveness of both.
I see my collaboration efforts evolving and changing so much. Face to face time is important and usually necessary to build the relationship of trust that I always thought was necessary for quality collaboration and my role as instructional support. However, I am finding more quick and easy ways to collaborate using digital means. I wonder if I will end up alone in a dark forest? Will I really wake up a year or so from now and find that I no longer spend face to face time. I mean my time is as precious as anyone else in my school.

So, now here is my point. What digital means are you using? I am investigating the use of podcasting and web videos to enhance my connection to the curriculum, students and teachers. Let's talk about how this is affecting others out there.
Lisa, I JUST TODAY had a teacher from my old school (I am in the midst of a change) call and ask me to meet with her today to help her understand how to use Windows MovieMaker to make videos. It was an unpaid summer visit back to school to spend some hands on time going through the program. She is interested in making videos to go on her website at school. She is a 30year+ veteran teacher. I see that as progress. I also see it as more and more of my teachers adopting newer technologies.
Great commentary, and I agree completely.

And it does become an issue of equity for students who don't have the access because of the school's or library policies.

I think we should encourage our state library organizations to include many web 2.0 workshops in their state conferences as a way of reaching out to librarians who may not have experienced many of these tools.

I just saw Joyce Valenza's presentation on InfoFluency and libraries at NECC, and it was an incredible presentation, chock full of links, ideas, wisdom. I'm going to post a link to it on the main page of Teacher Librarian.
My concern is partly personal, but I am sure that others are in the same position. I want to update my skills and become comfortable with web 2.0 and library 2.0 but could use a bit of guidance as to the best way to start. What sources would you recommend? I hope that I can use my summer vacation to read up and become more familiar with the changes due to interactive/collaborative information exchanges. Also, when I attended Internet@schools east this past April, it seemed that changes are being made primarily on the secondary level. I work in an intermediate school grades 3-5. Is there anybody out there who has been able to implement web 2.0/library 2.0 on the elementary level?
Susanne,
I'd recommend checking out the California Library Association's School 2.0 or the one from Charlotte Public Library, which is a sort of self paced set of links that will walk you through many of the web 2.0 applications.

I've seen some great examples of elementary schools using these tools.

Jamestown Elementary is doing podcasting.
Room 9 is a blog from a New Zealand elementary classroom.
http://blogs.dalton.org/Edinger/ Edinger is a 4th grade class blog.
http://www.classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=71175 Almighty Bloggers is another elementary blog that is very creative.
I am an elementary school librarian trying to improve my technology skills as well. This summer I participated in a free, online staff development course involving technology. It was based in part upon the 23 things you need to know about Web 2.0 that many public libraries have used with their staff. The lessons are available online and you don't have to join any special group to participate. Here is the website in case you want to check it out: http://library2play.blogspot.com/ . Reading the blogs of the people who are participating in this training is very interesting. Some are teachers, some are librarians, and they come from all over. Some seem very skilled with technology and others struggle (like me) to complete the assigned tasks. My blog name in this class is librarylion. I am very close to finishing up the 23 things. I want to implement some of what I have learned in my school this upcoming year. Technology doesn't come easy to me, but I know it is a powerful tool that could really improve our school library program. I would love to hear from other elementary school librarians about how they are using library 2.0 technology and what lessons they have learned in its implementation.
Classroom teachers in my building comment that they are so concerned about preparing students for standardized testing that they have no time to commit to spontaneity and creative instruction. Web 2.0 is not a concrete method for them -- they seem to not have any time to spend on learning and utiliizing 21st Century skills. My concern for the panel is this: how can I enlighten them about the Read/Write web without overstepping my bounds and without intruding on their curricular responsibilities?
Currently I'm looking at AASL's Standards for the 21st Century Learner's 9 beliefs, 4 goals and 83 objectives as another (remember Information Power) great instrument with no authority (in spite of cross-curriculum coverage) and no financing at the school level. Without authority and finances to back delivery, 21st Century will not help us fulfill potential.
I would like to see discussions on how to increase access to web 2.0 tools for teachers, teacher librarians and students at their school sites. I am one of many teacher librarians who completed the California School Library Association's School Library Learning 2.0 tutorial and I am eager to use web 2.0 tools at school, but I find that sites such as YouTube, Flickr and even this Ning are blocked. Flickr and nings were not blocked last summer when I began SLL2.0, but one day they suddenly disappeared. Nings came back for a few days, but now are gone again. I am thankful we can still get to Blogspot and pbwiki!

Anyway, I would like to hear some suggestions on how we can make these tools available in my school community. As new and younger staff is hired, and more of us digital immigrants learn to use these tools and share them with our colleagues and students, it's becoming increasingly frustrating to have them blocked in my district. I understand some of the arguments why some sites are blocked, but there has to be a better way than using some of the sneaky ways the students use to get to what they want to use. Let's get some legitimate ideas we can use with our districts to build the case for access. Thanks for asking us.
Well, how 'bout this whole thing with Ning? How about discussing Wikipedia and when it SHOULD be used for research purposes (because my entire English department HATES it). How about utilizing safe social networking (like, well, THIS? But I think I already mentioned that). Just a couple thoughts.
The big issue/hot topic for me has been figuring out the best and most subtle yet persuasive ways to empower the teachers so they too feel comfortable embracing this ever changing landscape--in specific Inernet resources like blogging for example. At my school I get the feeling that because their main concern--as it should be--is to deliver a well-instructed curriculum, embracing web 2.0 is not only a bit intimidating to them, but also not of great importance. I feel they may want to to go there and learn about web 2.0, but when, how, why...? This is the challenge I face, but it's a great one to solve and one I'm willing to work at.

RSS

A Learning Revolution Project

Twitter feeds

TL Scoop.its

Teacher Librarians of the 21st Century Curated by Mrs. N Ideas and Resources for the 21st Century Teacher Librarian

Libraries as Sites of Enchantment, Participatory Culture, and Learning Curated by Buffy J. Hamilton Ideas and resources to develop the concept of libraries as sites of participatory culture and learning

Personal Learning Networks for Librarians  Curated by Donna Watt

Staying ahead of the game, managing your own professional development, joining the dots

SchoolLibrariesTeacherLibrarians Curated by Joyce Valenza News for teacher librarians

What is a teacher librarian?  Curated by Tania Sheko Defining the role of teacher librarians for those who think we just look after books

Teacher librarians and transliteracy Curated by Sue Krust Explore the evolving role of the teacher librarian

Teacher-Librarian Curated by Librarian@HOPE Best sites and resources on the web for teacher-librarians

ResearChameleon on School Libraries Curated by Kathy Malatesta Teaching, mentoring & leading in today’s school libraries

Student Learning through School Libraries Curated by lyn_hay Building evidence of impact through research and professional practice

SCIS  Curated by SCIS News and resources about school libraries

Educational Technology and Libraries Curated by Kim Tairi In libraries we teach, we learn and many of us are early adopters of technology. This is your scoop on those things.

21st Century Libraries Curated by Dr. Steve Matthews all things 21st Century library related

Join our Diigo Group! VIsit TL Daily!

Coming soon

Events

Members

#tlchat: #tlchat your tweets!

© 2018   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service