TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

A community for teacher-librarians and other educators

After many years as our district's school librarian, this year I split my time between the high school and the middle school.

I would like some suggestions for Read Across America that might be successful and engaging for my middle school students (something other than having guest readers come in or older students reading to younger ones).

I appreciate your ideas!

Views: 358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just to clarify the above --- I meant to write that I have been exclusively at the high school for many years before being assigned to both the middle school and high school --

Hi,

I am planning on having a group of my 10th grade readers  create book talks on voice thread.  This same group made two hanging banners with large triangle flags, each flag had a decorated letter spelling- "Read Across America". The flags were different colors of large construction paper hung across some yarn.  We hung one banner above the library entry and the other in the main hall across the vice principal's office.  She liked it.

We have our "new books" set out in our display cabinet as well as new book markers by the check out counter. I plan on visiting our English classes and do a few book talks and invite our AR readers to come view our prizes for this month...

Most of the advertising I've seen is for grade school libraries or classrooms. So I can understand the need to brain storm ideas for high school. I really need to start on this earlier next year.  Black History month has taken a lot of my creative juices and time.

Nan

Thanks, Nan, for sharing your activities -- I'm about to use voice thread for the first time this week -- I will definitely consider using it for student booktalks in the future.  Good way for students to be active participants in Read Across America - or at any time really. Your students' banners will be a great decoration and advertisement for the day as well.

Here's what I have planned for this year: Our 8th graders will compete in a first-line contest, our 7th graders will engage in "speed-dating" style booktalks, and our 6th graders will share jokes/riddles/card tricks/magic tricks that they learned about through reading books/online sources.  Keeping my fingers crossed for a successful, engaging day!

I'm assuming your students are 6th-8th grade?

• You could hold a publishing party: Guide students in creating their own books - hit on story-line development, audience, binding, illustration, creating an index (non-fiction), cover art.  Then add the cream of the crop ( or include all the submissions) to your collection. This is a great event to hold each year.
  • How about having students create a dictionary of Suessian words, animals, places, etc? You could use a free wiki app for this if your school system allows it, then point younger students to this "resource"?
  • Hold a Dr. Seuss trivia contest ( this idea is from the Read Across America Facebook fan page - Kidtastik posted it to the Wall)
  • Host a debate on environmental issues brought up in "The Lorax"

--Shawn

Shawn,

Thanks for your ideas - I'll keep them in mind for next year...

Linda

To piggyback on this, how about having the middle school students create Seuss-theme games for students who are in the lower grades, e.g. card games, board games, Word Bingo games, etc. ? 

They also could create Seuss-theme raps, songs, reader's theaters scripts, etc. for students in the lower grades.  

Wonderful ideas, Patricia!! Thanks for sharing.

Linda

RSS

A Learning Revolution Project

Twitter feeds

TL Scoop.its

Teacher Librarians of the 21st Century Curated by Mrs. N Ideas and Resources for the 21st Century Teacher Librarian

Libraries as Sites of Enchantment, Participatory Culture, and Learning Curated by Buffy J. Hamilton Ideas and resources to develop the concept of libraries as sites of participatory culture and learning

Personal Learning Networks for Librarians  Curated by Donna Watt

Staying ahead of the game, managing your own professional development, joining the dots

SchoolLibrariesTeacherLibrarians Curated by Joyce Valenza News for teacher librarians

What is a teacher librarian?  Curated by Tania Sheko Defining the role of teacher librarians for those who think we just look after books

Teacher librarians and transliteracy Curated by Sue Krust Explore the evolving role of the teacher librarian

Teacher-Librarian Curated by Librarian@HOPE Best sites and resources on the web for teacher-librarians

ResearChameleon on School Libraries Curated by Kathy Malatesta Teaching, mentoring & leading in today’s school libraries

Student Learning through School Libraries Curated by lyn_hay Building evidence of impact through research and professional practice

SCIS  Curated by SCIS News and resources about school libraries

Educational Technology and Libraries Curated by Kim Tairi In libraries we teach, we learn and many of us are early adopters of technology. This is your scoop on those things.

21st Century Libraries Curated by Dr. Steve Matthews all things 21st Century library related

Join our Diigo Group! VIsit TL Daily!

Coming soon

Events

Members

#tlchat: #tlchat your tweets!

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service